If you or someone you know is in need of food bank services but unable to access food bank pick-up sites, you may qualify for Emergency Food Bank Home Deliveries. To be eligible for this program, you must qualify for food bank services and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Lack transportation to a food bank pickup site.
- Be at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
- Be in isolation because you have received a positive COVID-19 test result.
- Be in quarantine because you were exposed to someone with COVID-19 and may become sick.
If you are unsure if you are at high-risk of severe illness from COVID-19, please review the list below of qualifying conditions:
- Be aged 65 or older.
- Live in a nursing home or long-term care facility.
- Be in a high-risk category, can include:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma.
- People who have serious heart conditions.
- People of any age with severe obesity (body mass index >40), or certain underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, such as diabetes, renal failure, or liver disease.
People with weakened immune systems due to a variety of conditions including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications.
- People who are pregnant should be monitored as they can be at increased risk for severe viral illness.
With our limited resources, we are looking to connect those most at need and at highest risk with Food Bank Home Deliveries.
- To qualify for the food box delivery program, complete the online home food delivery form or call the Food Bank Delivery Hotline at (360) 255-0465. NOTE: we are currently experiencing a high volume of interest for this program and you may be placed on a waitlist. We will contact you to confirm delivery.
- Requests need to be submitted by noon (12:00 p.m.) on a Wednesday in order to be processed in time for a Friday delivery.
- Once confirmed for delivery, food boxes will be delivered to you until the COVID-19 response is ended or until you contact us at (360) 255-0465 to cancel your food box delivery. You do not need to fill out the form each week in order to get a food box delivery.
Please share this information with any high-risk friends and neighbors that may need help keeping themselves and their families fed, while also staying safe from exposure. Let’s work together to keep everyone in our community well-nourished and healthy during this crisis.
Additional food resources can be found at: www.whatcomabc.org, select Food Access > Food and Meal Resource Guide or call the Whatcom County free food hotline: (360) 788-7328
If you are looking for options to purchase groceries but are concerned about visiting grocery stores in person due to high health risks, please contact your local grocery store to see if they provide delivery options, or reach out to community groups for assistance.